– Chris realised he should never mess with his little sister – due to her nifty right hook.
– I learnt to hide stuff from my brothers that I didn’t want damaged / maimed / beheaded.
– Tiny Tears developed a new-found appreciation for polo neck tops.
I became exceptionally good at concealing my possessions after Tiny Tearsgate, 1989. Anything of value or sentiment was stowed away in a safe place, until I left home at the age of eighteen. This included, though was not exclusive to:
– A second-hand paperback copy of Roald Dahl’s Matilda, purchased for fifteen pence.
– My extensive Pog collection.
– One hundred high quality fibre-tipped colouring pens.
– Three mixed tapes of Boyzone, Peter Andre, the Spice Girls, and Backstreet Boys.
– My top secret, highly confidential, tell-all diaries, that I began writing in 1995, at the tempestuous age of twelve.
With impressive foresight at just fourteen, I acknowledged that I’d probably look back on my diaries in years to come and laugh. I may have underestimated just how much.
Here are some highlights from the last seventeen years in the life of me.
Names have been changed to protect the innocent:
11/05/1997 SECONDARY SCHOOL: Everything in this diary seemed to have a point to it when I wrote it. That’s why I refuse to look back and cross stuff out. Even the really embarrassing stuff about fancying Dave from my Maths class and cutting my own fringe. Again.
27/12/1997 SECONDARY SCHOOL: New Year’s Resolutions for 1998
- I will slap the next person who says I fancy Dave, because I don’t.
- I will tidy my room at some point this year.
- I will keep my room tidy for at least a week.
- I will stop worrying so much about how I look.
- I will marry Ronan Keating.
30/12/1998 SECONDARY SCHOOL: New Year’s Resolutions for 1999
- I will cut down on chips and chocolate, eat my greens and drink more milk.
- I will either slap or kiss Smith for being such a git.
- I will snog any (well, just about any) boy who offers.
- I will not take my mobile to school for the sole purpose of showing off. Well, maybe.
11/05/2000 COLLEGE: Oh fudge. I tried to pluck my eyebrows to make them look better, but now it’s a case of “Eyebrows? What eyebrows?” Will have to draw them on with pencil until further notice. Note to self: step away from the tweezers.
21/06/2001 COLLEGE: Have opted to come down with food poisoning on Friday. Not actual food poisoning, but this is my brilliant plan to get out of work. I am brilliant.
“I didn’t lose my mind; it was mine to give away.” Robbie Williams.
11/02/2002 UNIVERSITY: This afternoon was highly productive. I finally mastered the art of reading half a book and blagging the fact I read the whole thing. It’s a talent. One I am proud of and grateful for.
19/04/2002 UNIVERSITY: My plans to go into Uni today were scuppered by an overwhelming desire to sit at home on my bed and highlight stuff. Very important stuff; naturally.
13/08/2003 UNIVERSITY: Mental note: Everything happens for a reason and anything pants that seems to crush you at the time, just makes you stronger in the end. H’mm, that’s very phylosophical of me for a Thursday afternoon. Must learn to spell phylosophycal philospohycal philosophical.
19/10/2003 UNIVERSITY: Am so proud of me! Have spent the entire day doing boring Postmodernism coursework. All something to do with hyperreality. Very confusing. Despite having written 2,503 words, I still don’t understand it. This does not bode well for the ‘A’ grade I was hoping for.
29/11/2004 UNIVERSITY: Momentous occasion: Handed in my dissertation. *Takes a bow*.
03/10/2005 POST-UNIVERSITY: An ode to Tony: “When I fall in love, it will be forever”. Thank you Nat King Cole.
Note to self: Must put prophetic talents to good use. A winning lottery ticket would be a great start.